Compass Point Quilts
Pre-Class Cutting, Set-up and Supply List
Judy Niemeyer’s Sunflower Illusions
Pre-cutting the fabrics is a mandatory requirement prior to taking this course. Please begin preparing for class at least 2-WEEKS prior to the class to make sure that you are able to get familiar with your pattern and complete the pre-cutting beforehand. We always recommend reading through your entire pattern several times before beginning.
: Please refer to the yardage chart on the back of your pattern for the required fabric amounts.Preparing your Foundation Papers
: Please read and follow the instructions for ‘Foundation Papers and Template Layout Sheets” on page 2 of your pattern.
NOTE: PLEASE PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION THAT YOU DO NOT CONFUSE FOUNDATION PAPERS WITH TEMPLATE LAYOUT SHEETS.
Marking “Fabric Guide Lines” on Foundation Papers
- Foundation Papers: These are the foundations that you will sew the fabric directly onto. These need to be trimmed leaving a 1/8” border. DO NOT cut the individual units apart.
- Template Layout Sheets: The template layout sheets are used to cut your fabric. You will cut through these templates when you cut certain parts of your fabric. These need to be trimmed leaving a 1/16” border and used per the directions in the pattern.
: This step helps you to locate the actual area that your fabric needs to cover before adding your fabrics. It takes a few minutes to complete this step, but it saves a lot of time when you don’t have to rip out seams when fabric has been miss-placed during the sewing process.
- The easiest way to mark your “guide lines” is by folding or creasing the foundation papers on the DASHED LINES. Use your Fold Template (referenced below in the supply list) and place the edge along each of the dashed lines on the front side and finger-crease down the line. The lines are numbered 1,2,3… When you turn the foundation paper over you will see the fabric areas clearly marked on the backside.
- Another way to accomplish this is to use a light-box or a window to trace the DASHED LINES with a ruler and pencil.
: Follow the Cutting instructions on the bottom of page 2, page 3 and the very top of page 4 of your pattern. Place fabrics into the bags specified in the cutting instructions. Please note the following:
The following items will be used in class
- Make several copies of the template layout sheets prior cutting – this way you will have a sheet for each group of fabrics that need to be cut.
- When re-stacking your rectangles prior to cutting with the template layout sheet (bottom of page 2 right hand column and top of page 3 – right hand column of your directions) make sure that your fabric rectangles are all RIGHT SIDE UP PRIOR TO CUTTING.
- After cutting units apart, use clips to keep individual sections together and place in appropriate bag.
- Sewing Machine with a quarter-inch foot and accessories
- Steam Iron
- Ironing Board
- Two pieces of Template Plastic (3″ x 18″ piece and 3″ x 12″ piece) This will be your Fold Template
- 12″ Add-a-quarter ruler
- 18″ Add-a-quarter ruler (optional)
- Purple Thang (optional)
- 6″ x 12″ ruler
- Medium size cutting mat (18″ x 24″)
- Rotary cutter 45mm or 60 mm
- New rotary blade
- Size 70 needles
- Seam ripper
- Surge protectors
- Extension cords
- Fabric glue (UHU)
- Glue Pen (Fons & Porter, Sewline or Avery)
- High quality cotton sewing thread
- Flower pins
- Scotch Tape
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Binder Clips
- Large Paper Clips
You may want to check out the following sites prior to selecting fabrics. There are many samples, slide shows and color-changing quilts available for you to enjoy. There are also corrections and helpful hints posted for most of the patterns that have been published on the Quiltworx site.
Compass Point Quilts www.compassppointquilts.com
Compass Point Quilts Facebook page www.facebook.com/compasspointquilts
Quiltworx Facebook page www.facebook.com/quiltworx
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at email@example.com.
Please indicate the workshop/class you are signed up for and the pattern you are working on.