Compass Point Quilts
Pre-Class Cutting, Set-up and Supply List
Judy Niemeyer’s Forever Yours Table Runner
Pre-cutting the fabrics is a mandatory requirement prior to taking this course. Please begin preparing for class at least 2-WEEKS prior to the class to make sure that you are able to get familiar with your pattern and complete the pre-cutting beforehand. We always recommend reading through your entire pattern before beginning.Fabric Selection
: There are several different color-way options on this pattern. One color-way uses Bali Pops, which will give a varied appearance throughout your table runner. The other option is choosing 8 fabrics to be repeated in every arc, which will provide a more uniform look to your table runner. Please refer to the yardage chart on the back of your pattern for the required fabric amounts. The third option, which is my recommendation, is to choose either a package of Timeless Treasures “Tonga Treats” 2 ½” strip pack or Island Batik “Strip Tease” 2 ½” strip pack. The pattern will use 2 strips of 8 colors and 2 additional strips for the corners, 18 strips in all, out of the 40 that come in one package. You can make 2 table runners from one package of strips and you only have to purchase additional fabric for the “Centers, Melons & Background” which is 1 2/3 yards per runner. Using the strips also eliminates a good portion of the pre-cutting since they are already cut!!Preparing your Foundation Papers & Templates
: Please read and follow the instructions for “Foundation Papers and Templates” on page 1 of your pattern.
- Foundation Papers: These are the foundations that you will sew the fabric directly onto. These need to be trimmed leaving a 1/8” border. DO NOT cut the individual units apart.
- Templates: These are cut out freezer paper and assist in cutting the Center Template and Melon Template for this pattern. If you would prefer not to cut templates out of freezer paper, Judy has designed, in conjunction with Creative Grids, a set of plastic templates specifically for her Wedding Ring Series quilts, bed runners and table runners. If interested in purchasing a set of templates, please contact me at email@example.com to make arrangements to have a set mailed to you.
: Follow the Cutting instructions on page 2 of your pattern. Place fabrics into the bags specified in the cutting instructions.The following items will be used in class
- Sewing Machine with a quarter-inch foot and accessories
- Steam Iron
- Ironing Board
- Two pieces of Template Plastic (3″ x 18″ piece and 3″ x 12″ piece)
- 12″ Add-a-quarter ruler
- 18″ Add-a-quarter ruler (optional)
- Purple Thang (optional)
- 6″ x 12″ ruler
- Medium size cutting mat (18″ x 24″)
- Rotary cutter 45mm or 60 mm
- New rotary blade
- Size 70 needles
- Seam ripper
- Surge protectors
- Extension cords
- Fabric glue (UHU)
- Glue Pen (Fons & Porter, Sewline or Avery)
- High quality cotton sewing thread
- Flower pins
- Scotch Tape
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Binder Clips
- Large Paper Clips
You may want to check out the following sites prior to selecting fabrics. There are many samples, slide shows and color-changing quilts available for you to enjoy. There are also corrections and helpful hints posted for most of the patterns that have been published on the Quiltworx site.
Quiltworx Facebook page www.facebook.com/quiltworx
Compass Point Quilts www.compassppointquilts.com
If you have questions, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the workshop/class you are signed up for and the pattern you are working on.