Compass Point Quilts
Pre-Class Cutting, Set-up and Supply List
Judy Niemeyer’s Celtic Wave Pattern
Pre-cutting the fabrics is a mandatory requirement prior to taking this course. Please begin preparing for class at least 2-WEEKS prior to the class to make sure that you are able to get familiar with your pattern and complete the pre-cutting beforehand. We always recommend reading through your entire pattern several times before beginning.Correction
: Please take a minute to read the Correction Sheet provided by Quiltworx for the Celtic Wave 70×70 pattern. This sheet can be found on my CPQ website with my pre-class instructions or on the Quiltworx website (www.quiltworx.com) under the Patterns page for this specific pattern. There is a possibility that the pattern you are using has already been corrected by Quiltworx, depending upon when it was printed, but it’s always better to double check just in case.Fabric Selection
: Please refer to the yardage chart on the back of your pattern for the required fabric amounts.Prepare Bags
: Prepare 4 one-gallon Ziploc bags with the following labels: Unit-H, Bag #1 – Unit-CG, Bag #2, Unit-CGM, Bag #3 and Finishing Templates 1 & 2, Bag #4. Templates, foundation papers and fabric will be placed into these bags to assist with organization.Preparing your Foundation Papers
: Please read and follow the instructions for ‘Foundation Papers, Templates and Template Layout Sheets” starting on the second column of page 2 and continuing into the first column of page 3.
NOTE: PLEASE PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION THAT YOU DO NOT CONFUSE FOUNDATION PAPERS WITH TEMPLATE LAYOUT SHEETS.
Marking “Fabric Guide Lines” on Foundation Papers
- Foundation Papers: These are the foundations that you will sew the fabric directly onto. These need to be trimmed leaving a 1/8” border. DO NOT cut the individual units apart.
- Templates: These are cut out of newsprint, freezer paper and/or template plastic and assist in cutting fabric in a specific shape. Check pattern for specific directions. Accuracy is important when cutting these templates.
- Template Layout Sheets: The template layout sheets are used to cut your fabric. You will cut through these templates when you cut certain parts of your fabric. These need to be trimmed leaving a 1/16” border and used per the directions in the pattern.
: This step helps you to locate the actual area that your fabric needs to cover before adding your fabrics. You only have to mark a few of each unit to begin with and then after you start piecing you can decide if this is a step that you would like to complete on each foundation paper unit. It takes a few minutes to complete this step, but it saves a lot of time when you don’t have to rip out seams when fabric has been miss-placed during the sewing process.
- The easiest way to mark your “guide lines” is by folding or creasing the foundation papers on the DASHED LINES. Use your Fold Template (referenced below in the supply list) and place the edge along each of the dashed lines on the front side and finger-crease down the line. The lines are numbered 1,2,3… When you turn the foundation paper over you will see the fabric areas clearly marked on the backside.
- Another way to accomplish this is to use a light-box or a window to trace the DASHED LINES with a ruler and pencil.
: Follow the Cutting instructions on pages 3, 4, 5 & 6 of your pattern. Place fabrics into the bags specified in the cutting instructions.
If you plan to attend a “Fabric Cutting Class” for this particular pattern/workshop, please arrive at the fabric cutting class prepared with your fabric pressed and folded neatly and clearly marked with the corresponding fabric number. If everyone’s fabric is pressed and labeled, we can jump right into the cutting.The following items will be used in class
- Sewing Machine with a quarter-inch foot and accessories
- Steam Iron
- Ironing Board
- Two pieces of Template Plastic (3″ x 18″ piece and 3″ x 12″ piece) This will be your Fold Template
- 12″ Add-a-quarter ruler
- 18″ Add-a-quarter ruler (optional)
- Purple Thang (optional)
- 6″ x 12″ ruler
- Medium size cutting mat (18″ x 24″)
- Rotary cutter 45mm or 60 mm
- New rotary blade
- Size 70 needles
- Seam ripper
- Surge protectors
- Extension cords
- Fabric glue (UHU)
- Glue Pen (Fons & Porter, Sewline or Avery)
- High quality cotton sewing thread
- Flower pins
- Scotch Tape
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Binder Clips
- Large Paper Clips
You may want to check out the following sites prior to selecting fabrics. There are many samples, slide shows and color-changing quilts available for you to enjoy. There are also corrections and helpful hints posted for most of the patterns that have been published on the Quiltworx site.
Compass Point Quilts www.compassppointquilts.com
Compass Point Quilts Facebook page www.facebook.com/compasspointquilts
Quiltworx Facebook page www.facebook.com/quiltworx
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the workshop/class you are signed up for and the pattern you are working on.